Saturday 28 January 2012

Tussock Traverse - The Injuries Continue

Hi all,

So it has been a little while since my last post, getting back in to the swing of full time work post christmas has left me a little worse for wear so unfortunately my blog suffered.

Since my last blog I have had a relatively low key exercise regime primarily due to my ITBS injury which has forced me to halt my running altogether. I have tried to keep up my cardio work with Box Fit classes at my local gym. This has been really good although due to baby and Mama On The Move working i can only really go once maybe twice a week. Im hoping to organise my programme this week to incorporate two Box Fits and a swim session.

Tussock Traverse
So, my first events, the Tussock Traverse was yesterday. I originally set out to run 13km but due to my injury had to drop down to the 6.5km event.

Mama On The Move and I left home at 530am and drove 3 hours to race registration at the base of the mountain, the day was perfect, I overheard an event volunteer saying it was the best conditions they had had in a long time. I felt confident that I could run the 6.5km even with my injury if I paced myself correctly and didnt push to hard, I was aiming for a time under 40 minutes.

At 1015 the competitors were herded to the start line and given course instructions before the official race start at 1030.

1030 came and the hooter sounded, my race started well and I was feeling good early on although the quick elevation of the track did have me exerting myself a little harder than i wanted i managed to regain my race pace shortly after but then.......DISASTER.......I badly rolled my ankle (the same leg as my knee injury) on an area of small football sized rocks, I completely bailed and went hands first in to the surrounding gravel right in front of a group of 8 or so people. I stood up and hobbled to the side of the track checking my ankle before attempting to walk on it, felt ok so started walking for 1km then began a slow jog, not long after my knee injury played up but decided to run through it.

I finished the 6.5km in 43m.17s but paid the price, a strapped ankle which has put me out of running for at least a week or two and more questions over my knee injury and whether running is the type of cardio I want to continue with.

So thats about where its at with me at the moment, some questions to ponder and injuries to recover from, tomorrow is weigh in/photo day but i'm not expecting great things given the last two weeks!

I will be posting pictures of the Tussock event ASAP.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the accomplishment of finishing... even with injuries. Looking forward to the picts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie, I am very happy that i carried on and finished the race! I also took up your advice on my last post but seeing as i dont have a foam roller i was told that a tennis ball could suffice, fingers crossed it helps!

    ReplyDelete