Thursday 19 January 2012

Injury and 9-9-9 Workout

So unfortunately after my 21km run 5 days ago an injury has surfaced which has forced me to change my training plan for the week.

The injury is called Illotial Band Syndrome (ITBS) and is due to inflammation of the iliotibial band. The iliotibial band begins at the hip and extends to the outer side of the shin bone (tibia) just below the knee joint. The band functions in coordination with several of the thigh muscles to provide stability to the outside of the knee joint. ITBS symptoms range from a stinging sensation just above the knee joint (on the outside of the knee or along the entire length of the iliotibial band) The pain may not occur immediately during activity, but may intensify over time, especially as the foot strikes the floor

Hopefully through a refined training regime over the next week and exercises to strengthen the area I can overcome the injury before the Tussock Traverse 13km run in 9 days time. 
I am currently having a break at the beach at the moment and while wanting to maintain my running regime I have been forced to find alternatives to keep up my exercise levels.

Over the last two days I have gone for a run/walk and a 9-9-9 workout (see below), the walk run still inflamed my knee so have decided to eliminate running altogether for now.

The 9-9-9 Workout
This is a high intensity circuit training routine that covers 4 basic moves. The goal is to complete 9 sets of 9 reps in 9 minutes - my PB is 12m 37s.

I usually jog to the local school and use the playground to do this routine, easier to find a bar for the inverted row.

Heres the routine:

9 x body weight squats
9 x press ups
9 x inverted row (if I dont have a bar handy I swap inverted rows for tricep dips)
9 x jumping jacks

That is 1 set, try and do that 9 times in 9 minutes, its a challenge!!


With the weather being so good here Mama On The Move and I hope to go sea kayaking later today which will be a good upper body workout and may fit in a bike ride after that.

Check in Monday for updates in weight etc!

1 comment:

  1. Just started following your blog and so far you're doing great!

    About the ITB... have you tried a foam roller? It has SAVED me during my trainings and now I can't imagine not having it part of my routine.

    I'm getting over knee problems as well but good to see you're keeping up with your strength training. That should help with the ITBS too.

    ReplyDelete